To many, the idea of a “man cave” conjures an image of a converted garage with a sofa long past its prime, perhaps accented with a beer-can sculpture and funky floor lamp.
My, but times have changed! Many men want a room of their own that goes beyond the home office. Polls suggest that the main driver is simply the need for some me-time, especially during the current pandemic.
Now, custom luxury homes are being designed with the man cave already in mind to give men a place to call their own. Over the years since the trend began, man caves are now integrated into the home itself instead of relegated to a corner in the basement or garage. They’re still a sanctuary where the guys can get away to catch their favorite shows or games, but they’re also a great place to host friends for a card game or to throw a sports party.
Crystal Creek Builders has a few ideas on creating these special spaces in your custom home. Here’s what we’re thinking about:
- Focus on the TV. When it comes to TVs in a man cave, bigger is still better. But tricking it out with the latest tech and dropping it all into a built-in entertainment center is a must! Consider darkened curtains over the windows and movie-theater seating so you can really enjoy the action. Add surround sound and you’ll never want to go to a theater again.
- Keep the drink station handy. A wet bar is a must. Customize it, or even tuck it away, to leave plenty of space open for other amenities – like the billiards table. Just make sure that refreshments are never more than a few steps away.
- Warm it up. You may not think about a fireplace for a man cave, but it adds warmth, comfort and style for a variety of activities.
- Make it comfortable. Leather furniture is always a hit – and definitely has a masculine feel. But make sure your choices don’t sacrifice comfort for style.
- Keep a masculine vibe. Use colors and wallpaper that will transform the room and individualize to the owner. Consider sports team items, hunting decorations, personal brag walls, and bar lights.
Including a man cave in your home plans gives the gentleman of the house a space to call his own.
For more information on including specialized spaces in your custom home, give us a call. Let’s talk about it!
Your Friends at Crystal Creek Builders
Adapted from Builder.com and other sources.