You’ve decided you want to take the big step of building a custom home. Now what?
Here’s some basic guidance to get you started on one of the most important relationships you’ll make:
- Pick your niche. Most pros specialize in a certain price range or type of structure. Look for a company who has experience in the one you want.
- Create your must-have list. Be clear about your must-have features, as well as your like-to-have list, to be sure your prospective builder can provide them.
- Verify experience. Ask how long the company has been in business and how many homes they’ve built. Don’t be shy about asking to see examples of their work.
- Examine relationships. Most lenders, real estate agents, suppliers, and other industry professionals work with builders they like and trust on a recurring basis. These relationships can help you make a reputable shortlist. Online reviews can help too.
- Check credentials. Ask for proof of licenses and insurance information. Licensing requirements vary depending on your location and the size of the project.
- Ask about warranties. An insured third party should provide home warranties. That way, even if your pro goes out of business, you’re still covered. You should also ensure the builder will transfer warranties for fixtures and appliances purchased as part of the contract.
- Take a tour. The best example of a company’s work is one of its existing units. Ask to visit a job site, and pay attention to materials, workmanship and safety.
- Don’t rush. Do your research. Take your time finding a person or company you can work with – especially if you’re building from a distance.
Finding the right home builder near you requires patience. Do your research and ask the right questions to ensure you work with a reputable individual or company that you can trust with your investment.
At Crystal Creek Builders, we stand on our record and invite you to talk with us about any of your concerns. We have more than 30 years’ experience building more than 700 homes in Prescott, Arizona, and have earned a five-star customer satisfaction rating.
Don’t just take our word for it. Check out what others are saying.
When you’re ready, give us a call. We look forward to meeting you!
Your Friends at Crystal Creek Builders
Adapted from HomeAdvisor.com