HomeAdvisor consulted contracting experts to create the ultimate list of questions that will help homeowners learn everything they need to know to confidently choose who will make their custom home dream come true.
- How long have you been in this business? Companies who have been operating for many years have worked through the growing pains and have created systems and controls to assure your satisfaction.
- Are you properly licensed and insured? Cites, states and even counties have different requirements on whether contractors must obtain a license or an alternative credential. As a homeowner, you’ll want to make sure that yours has gone through all the necessary channels. In addition, contractors should have both workers’ compensation and liability insurance specifically for the type of job they perform.
- Will you obtain the permits and set up the inspections required for this job? Your builder should not only know what kind of permits you need and how to get them, but also be willing to pull them for you.
- What is our timeline for completion? Make sure you have a clear picture of when contractors will start and complete a project, and be aware of any circumstances that might affect that schedule.
- What is the payment schedule? The Better Business Bureau advises never paying for the full price of contracting work upfront, and a reputable contractor shouldn’t ask you to.
- How would you like me to get in touch with you? Not only do you need to have a designated point of contact, but you also need to know the best way to reach that person, and at what times he’ll be available to respond to you.
- What is your working day like? It’s important for both homeowners and contractors to know what to expect on construction days.
- What steps will you take to protect my property? This may be one of the toughest questions to ask your contractor simply for the fact that it may seem disrespectful. However, it’s an important one that you’ll need to ask in advance of construction.
- How will additional charges be dealt with? Home construction can be unpredictable at times. It’s critical that your contractor is clear that they won’t spend a penny over your agreed-upon budget without first gaining your approval.
- What are the warranties? Most contractors offer a warranty or guarantee on their work, and it’s important to know ahead of time what it covers and how long it will remain in effect.
- How do we resolve any disagreements? Asking contractors how they handle disputes tells you that there’s a process for taking care of situations in which clients aren’t fully satisfied.
At Crystal Creek Builders, we stand on our record and invite you to talk with us about any of your concerns. We have more than 30 years’ experience building more than 700 homes in Prescott, Arizona, and have earned a five-star customer satisfaction rating.
When you’re ready, give us a call. We look forward to meeting you!
Your Friends at Crystal Creek Builders
You deserve a Crystal Creek home.
Adapted from HomeAdvisor.com